This is an essential Southern dip that’s extremely hard to stop eating once you start. You’ll be eatin this stuff up like Tyrone Biggums. While it is more of a snack item, you can always eat it plain between two pieces of bread or spread it on a BLT. My favorite way to crush pimento cheese is to dip it with pretzels rods. I bet anything you spread it on would taste dank. Pickle, Doritos, flat bread, heck… even a chocolate chip cookie. I brought this dish into work for a couple of true ski bums raised out in CO and they were blown away…
- 1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese-sharp is my favorite to use
- 2 or 3 healthy tablespoons of Mayo
- 1 little jar of diced pimentos
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of chopped Jalapeños (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together until Mayo is evenly dispersed throughout cheese (spreadable consistency)
- Enjoy-simple, cheap, and dank
By Ski Bum: Fagan “Fundito” Goodwin
- 2 balls or wheels of Mexican Melting Cheese (Queso Quesadilla) – shredded
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Small Onion – chopped
- 2 Poblano Peppers – chopped
- 1 Jalapeno – diced
- 2 shots of Tequila (1 for the dip and one for you!)
- 3 small links of MEXICAN chorizo (they come in 6-packs)
- Cilantro, chopped
- 1 – 2 Roma Tomatoes, diced
- 2-3 green onions – chopped
- Tortilla Chips
Shred Cheese (usually comes in sealed bumpy balls in refridgerated mexican section or in a round disc), toss with flour and set aside. Remove plastic casings on chorizo and saute in a small non-stick pan until browned. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
In a medium cast iron skillet or other oven save pan, saute onions, peppers, and jalapeno until soft. Add shot of tequila and take one for yourself. Remove from heat. Stir in the shredded cheese and pop into the oven for about 15 minutes until cheese gets a little bubbly on the sides. Remove from oven and top with chorizo, then back in the oven for about 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven and top with tomatoes, cilantro and green onions. Serve right out of the skillet with chips and spoons. If cheese starts to harden, pop it back in the oven for a few minutes and it will be even better!
Additional Comments: This is Alston’s (Wesley “White Boots” Hight’s sister) fave. We always make it in the mountains for girls weekend and it is delicious for hungry ski bums. I recommend serving with Margaritas and shots of tequila. Make sure the cheese is the MELTING kind and not the CRUMBLING (NOT queso fresco) kind. Food Lion has it but the higher end stores sometimes do not.
By Ski Bum: Niki “Joani’s Daughter” Steffen
- 2 cans smoked salmon (peppered garlic salmon is the bomb)
- 1 block of cream cheese at room temp (I think it’s 8 oz, the one in the paper box)
- 1 spoonful of Horseradish (more = hotter)
- Tabasco or your favorite hot sauce
- 4-6 chopped green onions
- 2-3 dollops of sour cream
- Mix all ingredients to desired consistency. I’ve had it whipped and just lightly mixed, and I prefer the latter.
- Chill in fridge and serve with gourmet crackers! Enjoy!